Contact Information
Location

Phone: (210) 688-3090

Email: zion@zionsa.org

Office Hours: Monday-Thursday, 8:30-5:00 and Friday 8:30-3:00.

Mailing Address: 9944 Leslie Road San Antonio, TX 78254

We are located at loop 1604 and Braun Rd

Click Here for interactive map
Campus Map: View Now

Excerpts From Dedication Bulletin

The third sanctuary for Zion Luther Church of Helotes was dedicated on Sunday, November 20, 1988.  The following are excerpts from the dedication service program.

Picture


Table of Contents

Introduction Page 1
Zion Lutheran Church of Helotes 1904-1988 Page 2
Dedication Worship Page 6
Participants in Worship Page 13
Our Faceted Art Glass Windows Page 14
A Service of Dedication and Recognition of the Centerstone, Sanctuary & Offices
Page 17
Time Table For Construction and Funding Page 19
Committee Members Page 20
Church Councils 1985-1988 Page 21
Interesting Facts and Figures Page 22
The Pipe Organ Page 24
Building Information Page 25
Dedication Committee and Acknowledgements Page 26




Page 1

GREETINGS TO ALL WHO HAVE COME TO SHARE OUR JOYFUL CELEBRATION OF THE DEDICATION OF OUR NEW SANCTUARY:

John Ruskin has written "When we build, let us think we build forever…that men will say as they look upon the labor and the wrought substance of them, 'See! This our fathers did for us'."

For those of us who are members of Zion, we rejoice in the heritage our fathers have given us in the beautiful grounds, buildings, and family of Zion.  We pray that the warm, worship atmosphere of our new sanctuary, saturated with the glory of God and the beauty of His Son, Jesus Christ, will ensure the continuation of this heritage for the generations to come.

Dedication Committee, November 20, 1988

Back to top




Pages 2-5  

ZION LUTHERAN CHURCH OF HELOTES 1904-1988

Zion Lutheran Church of Helotes is the product of numerous acts of devotion, dedication and service which the Lord God has wrought among his people down through the years.  Zion has its roots deep in the Helotes farming community that was settled by German immigrants in the late 1800's.

Amalie Stulz was one of those who contributed to the establishment of a Lutheran congregation in Helotes.  Born in 1835, she grew up in New Youk and married Carl Mueller.  Upon receiving a land grant for his service in the Texas revolution, Mr. Mueller and his bride traveled to Texas and built a home in 1854, which expanded into a way station for stagecoaches with a horse barn, blacksmith shop and a post office.  Just a short distance from the inn, a one-room schoolhouse was also built.  After Mr. Mueller's death in 1878, Amalie married Adolph Boegel and started a Sunday School at the schoolhouse or in homes.  On weekends she often journeyed to San Antonio by wagon or stagecoach, returning with a Lutheran pastor whom she had engaged to hold services.

These were difficult trips; roads could become bogs under heavy rains, and outlaws were real dangers.  Amalie died in 1928 at 94 years of age.  Others made early contributions to the development of Zion, too. H.T. Brauchle was a schoolteacher who came to Helotes in 1895.  Seeking someone to baptize his two children, Mr. Brauchle found Rev. Jacob Bader, a Methodist minister from Hondo.  He continued to come monthly, thereafter, to hold services for Lutheran families in the Helotes area in their schoolhouse.  Rev. Bader made the long trips of 60 miles over rugged terrain without pay until his death in 1902. (history webmaster: The Methodist Church archive records and the Medina County History do not record Rev. Bader serving a church in Hondo.  He served the congregation at New Fountain at various times, the last being in 1896.  He was pastor of the German Methodist Church in San Antonio from 1901 until his death in 1903.)

In 1902, Reverend W. C. Lembke was sent from Seguin, the first Lutheran pastor to serve the area on a regular basis. Two years later a congregation was organized as Zion Lutheran Church of Helotes with 22 charter members.

In 1905 Pastor Nic Frueh was called as its first mission pastor.  Zion remained a mission partially supported by the American Lutheran Church until it became self-supporting in 1945.  During Pastor Frueh's tenure, the congregation grew to 48 members, each of whom paid 25¢  a month for church expenses.  Church services and catechetical instructions were conducted in German and women and men had segregated seating (This custom continued until the 1940s).  A committee was formed to solicit donations for a church building.  George Brackenridge, a prominent San Antonio resident, contributed money; Mrs. Maria Gugger contributed the land; members of the congregation contributed money, labor and materials, all which led to the dedication of the church in 1906.

Between the departure of Pastor Frueh in 1911, and 1937 when Rev. A.B. Weiss was called as pastor, Zion was served by a series of supply pastors.  During this period, under Pastor W.W. Laubach, the church was remodeled, pews were made after his design and an altar was built, adorned with a picture donated by a member of the congregation.

The years between the pastorate of Reverend Weiss, the first resident pastor, and Pastor Kuenemann have been years of building and growth.  By 1939, the congregation had grown to 165 communicants and 225 baptized.  In 1941 the parsonage was built for $2,300 and in 1950 a new church was erected at a cost of $20,000.  In 1964, during the pastorate of Clarence Bohls, Sunday school rooms were added, and later central heat and air conditioning made worship more comfortable.  Rev Bohls retired in 1974 after 46 years in the ministry.

Two sons of the congregation have been ordained:  James Heineke in 1952 and Ervie E. Braun in 1964.

During the nine years Rev. Paul Probst led our congregation, a Fellowship Hall capable of seating 300 people was constructed at a cost of $100,000, completed in 1979.  A distinctive cross tower was created to mark our property corner on the now heavily traveled "outer loop", F.M. 1604 and Braun Road, in 1982.  The following year our large parking lot was paved.  The membership had continued to grow from 211 confirmed and 305 baptized in 1954 to 497 confirmed and 627 baptized in 1979.  When Pastor Probst retired in November 1983, after 40 years of God's service, Rev. Robert Thronson, who had been our part-time assistant, was called as interim(sic), part-time, with Rev. Malcolm Hoffman, Dr. George Schutlz(sic) and Chaplain Earl Milbrath coordinating the pastoral activities.  Zion was truly blessed to have four outstanding and dedicated clergy members in time of need.

Dr. Gordon F. Kuenemann was called to Zion in August, 1984 when membership had reached 700 baptized members.  Pastor Kuenemann brought with him a progressive attitude, excellent youth director skills, and helped us continue to be a close knit church family even while we began to "burst at the seams".  Pastors Mark and Elizabeth Lundquist shared their ministry with Zion from February, 1986 to July, 1988.  With the addition of pastors, our congregation has continued a growth in not only size, but new programs and activities.  The study of God's work in Sunday School and women's groups has always been one of Zion's strengths.   The addition of Search, a weekday adult Bible study began in 1986, and a young adult home Bible study in 1987, as well as many other programs, too numerous to mention, daily add to the evolvement(sic) of our members in God's service.  Our offices now have computers to keep us up to date in records, printing and mailings.  Perhaps one of the most exciting events in recent years was the dedication of a Texas Historical Marker on our cemetery on November 2, 1986.  Our cemetery, dating back into the 1860s, is a landmark for the Helotes area.

The future of Zion looks exciting and promising.  Our membership has blossomed to 1,100.  While we have been growing in numbers, we have also been growing in commitment and purpose.  Today we are proudly dedicating this building as a symbol of our commitment to God and to the community around us.

"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever" Hebrews 13:8

PASTORS AND YEARS OF SERVICE

W.C. Lembke 1902-1905
Nic Frueh 1905-1911
E.G. Knaak 1912-1913
H.M. Sauer 1913-1914
G.E. Grueger(sic) 1915-1916
W.W. Laubach 1917-1936
G.A. Poehlmann 1936-1937
A.B. Weiss (first resident pastor) 1937-1948
M.J. Schwartz 1948-1950
H.A. Heineke 1950-1955
Jack Slaughter 1955-1961
Clarence Bohls 1961-1973
Paul Probst 1974-1983
Gordon Kuenemann 1984-present
Mark Lundquist 1985-1988
Elizabeth Lundquist 1985-1988


Back to top




Page 13   

Zion Lutheran Church of Helotes
Christ the King Sunday, November 20, 1988
Dedication Worship

PARTICIPANTS IN WORSHIP

Presiding Minister & Preacher Dr. Gordon Kuenemann

Assisting Ministers Rev. Robert Thronson, Chaplain Malcolm Hoffman, Chaplain Earl Milbrath

Speakers Outside Thelma Ahrens, Melvin Poehlmann, Chris Schuchart

First Processional Participants Clara Ruempel, William Braun, Henry Brauchle, Margie Hutchings, Ronnie Palmieri, David Gass, Laura Weidner

Second Processional Participants Richard Coakley, Calvin Galm, Gloria Anderson, Lloyd Benke, Burton Braun, Bernice Kempf, Russell Masters, Harold Galm, Jr.

Speakers Inside Shirley Jonas, Frank Wehmeyer, Jr., Marnell Moore

Lectors Ruth Felty, Harry Wade

Processional Cross Ryan Krueger

Acolytes Laurie Klein, Mike Widner

Communion Servers Billy Birdwell, Jane Brown

Choir Directors Curt Christiansen, Sandy Deebel

Music Coordinators Wendy Kuenemann, Karen Twiefel

Organist & Pianist Neva Masters, Patty Moeller

Entrance Hymn Arrangement Dr. George Schultz

Communion Ensemble William Christensen, John Moore, Susan Hillje, Lynne Christensen

Trumpets James Morales, Jim Cain, Bill Swantner

Ushers Samuel & Lucille Galm, Arthur & Connie Braun, Clem & Jan Howe, Don & Gail Josephson, Shirley Jonas, Gerald Dalum, Rusty & Suzie Wyatt

Back to top




Pages 14-16


OUR FACETED ART GLASS WINDOWS

The faceted stained glass windows in our sanctuary were designed by Ward Cruikshank.  These artistic works help to bring to the heart of the worshiper a sense of the sacred and divine, and they serve a highly spiritual purpose in worship.


THE ALTAR WINDOW:
Depicts Christ the King, victor over death.

Picture


The Cross Fleurée, a most beautiful decorative form of the cross, with ends terminating in three petals, is a symbol of finished redemption, faith, the Passion and the Atonement.  It's gold color symbolizes our Lord's Kingly Office and splendor.  The crown also indicates our Lord's Kingly Office and victory and eternal life.  It's red color is a symbol of love, fervor, holy zeal and martyrdom.  The blue in the background signifies heaven, truth, constancy, faithfulness, wisdom and charity.


THE NAVE WINDOWS (left side):
Depicts the history of God's People in the Old Testament.

Picture

CREATION:  God created the heavens and the earth; light and dark; the firmament and the waters.  He created the seas and dry land; the grasses, the herbs and fruited trees.  He created two great light; the sun to rule the day, the moon to rule the night, and also the stars.  And the living creatures of the seas, of the land and of the air.  And man and woman.  He blessed them all and then he rested.  A few of these are indicated to symbolize the enormity of God's vast creation.


Picture

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS:   Two tablets of stone are symbolic of the giving of the Ten Commandments by God to Moses.  The ancient division of the commandments is shown:  the first tablet contains the tree commandments expressing one's duties toward God:  Whereas the second tablet enumerates the seven duties to one's fellow men.


Picture

THE PROMISE OF THE COMING OF JESUS:  Christ's Peaceable Kingdom is foretold by Isaiah.  In part he says that a rod shall come forth out of the stump of Jesse and a branch shall grow out of his roots.  He later says that the wolf will live with the lamb;  and calf, the lion cub and the fatling together;  and a little child shall lead them.  They will not hurt or destroy in all his holy mountain, for the earth will be full of the knowledge of the Lord.  In that day there shall be a root of Jesse which will stand as a beckoning sign for the Gentiles.  And his rest will be glorious.



THE NAVE WINDOWS (right side):
Depicts the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Picture

BIRTH OF CHRIST: An oriental manger with supports resembling a cross saltire is in itself a symbol of the Lord's Nativity.  A star with five points is a symbol of the Epiphany, or the Revelation of the Christ Child to the Magi.


Picture

BAPTISM OF JESUS:  An escallop shell symbolizes a vessel for water for The Baptism.  A dove with a tri-radiant nimbus is symbolic of the Holy Spirit, which in the form of a dove it was said to have been seen to descend upon Jesus and to light upon Him, at the time of His baptism by John in the Jordan River.  The heavens parted and a voice said, "This is my beloved son, in whom I am well pleased".


Picture

TRIUMPH OF THE GOSPEL:   The Cross of Triumph depicted here, is also known as the Cross of Victory or the Cross of Conquest.  A Latin cross resting upon a banded globe typifies the triumph of the Gospel throughout all the earth.



THE NARTHEX WINDOWS (left side):
Depicts Jesus coming to us in the Word and Sacraments.

Picture

HOLY BAPTISM:  The escallop shell as a vessel for the water used in the washing away of sins, is an ancient symbol for this sacrament.


Picture

THE WORD:  Since it is the Word of God which causes the water of Holy Baptism and the bread and wine of the Eucharist to produce such marveled effects, forgiveness, it is fitting that this too should have a symbol.  The usual form is that of an open Bible.


Picture

THE EUCHARIST:  Matthew says that "Jesus took bread and broke it and gave it to the disciples and said, 'Take, eat; this is my body' And he took the cup and gave thanks and gave it to them, saying, 'Drink ye all of it; for this is my blood of the new testament which is shed for many for the remission of sins;'."  We find symbols upon symbols here.  Jesus' refers to the bread and wine as His body and His blood.  They are symbolized here as the wheat and grapes from whence they come.



THE BALCONY WINDOW (left side):
Depicts our Lutheran heritage.



Picture

LUTHER'S ROSE:  "First there is a black cross set in a heart of natural color to remind me that faith in the Crucified One saves us... This heart is mounted in the center of a white rose to show that faith brings joy, comfort, and peace... The rose is set in a sky-colored field to show that such joy of the spirit and faith is the beginning of the heavenly joy to come, present already in our joy now and embraced by hope, but not yet made manifest."  Martin Luther<

The art glass windows complete the architectural harmony of our sanctuary by the skillful blending of color, symbol and light.

Back to top




Pages 17-18

A Service of Dedication and Recognition
of the
Centerstone, Sanctuary, & Offices.
Zion Lutheran Church of Helotes
Christ the King Sunday, November 20, 1988 1:00 p.m.


Invocation Hymn Built on a Rock the Church Stall Stand
Stanza 1 Built on a rock the Church shall stand,
Even when steeples are falling;
Crumbled have spires in ev'ry land,
Bells still are chiming and calling
Calling the souls of those distressed,
Longing for life everlasting.
Stanza 2 Not in our temples made with hands
God, the Almighty, is dwelling;
High in the heav'ns his temple stands,
All earthly temples excelling.
Yet he who dwells in heav'n above
Deins to abide with us in love
Making our bodies his temple.
Stanza 3 We are God's house of living stones,
Built for his own habitation;
He fills our hearts, his humble thrones
Granting us life and salvation.
Were two or three to seek his face,
He in their midst would show his grace,
Blessings upon them bestowing.
Stanza 4 Yet in this house, an earthly frame,
Jesus the children is blessing;
Hither we come to praise his name,
Faith in our Savior confessing.
Jesus to us his Spirit sent,
Making with us his covenant,
Granting his children the kingdom.



The Lesson Ephesians 2:19-22

 

A Word of Challenge and Direction

The Prayer of Dedication of This House of Worship

The Unveiling and Reading of the Centerstone

† † †

The Entrance

The Anthem PictureChristians, ArisePictureLiles

The Recognition of Construction Principles and
The Passing of the Keys

The Recognition of Guests & Greetings

The Prayers

The Hymn PictureThe Church's One FoundationPicture#369

The Benediction

† † † † † † †

Please join us for an open house this afternoon.  Please make note of the Memorial Book, the Contribution Board, the construction video and the photo book.  Members of the Building Committee will be available to answer your questions.  Refreshments will also be served.  Please make yourselves at home in our new home.

Back to top




Page 19

TIME TABLE FOR CONSTRUCTION AND FUNDING

In the four years leading up to this great day, many thoughts and dreams were combined with wise foresight, much planning, and the guidance of the Holy Spirit.  The approximate timetable from early planning stages through the construction completion was:

Sep. 1984 Demographics Task Force created.
Jan. 1985 Continuing Planning Committee approved and appointed, Russell Masters, chairman.
Jun. 1985 Johnson/Dempsey hired for master plan development.
Oct. 1985 Congregation approved recommendations of Continuing Planning Committee.
Nov. 1985 Building Committee appointed, Harold Galm, Jr., chairman.
Jul. 1986 Johnson/Dempsey Architectural firm engaged for designs.
Oct. 1986 Funding Committee appointed, Russell Masters, chairman.
Feb. 1987 Special congregational meeting which approved proposed building and funding plans.
Feb. to
Sep. 1987
Pledge Drive.
Sep. 1987 Johnson/Dempsey let bids.
Oct. to
Nov. 1987
Bids reviewed, Peco Construction Company selected as general contractor/Contracts negotiated.
Nov. 29,
1987
Groundbreaking ceremonies featuring hand plowed ground from the planned front doors to the future altar area.
Feb. 1988 Construction begins, Richard Coakley, Zion's construction superintendent.
Nov. 1988 Completion and Dedication.

Love and thanks to Pastor Gordon who started everything rolling, kept everyone going, worried long hours over details we never envisioned, and even climbed up into the big oak trees readying the grounds for this great day. He truly was the moving spirit behind this project. Praise God!

Back to top




Page 20

FUNDING COMMITTEE MEMBERS

Russell Masters, Chairman

Calvin Galm Norman Brinkmeyer
Richard Galland Dale Petersen
Elizabeth Lundquist, pastor George Hutchings
George Schultz, Advisor Dean Krueger
Dale Stein, Non-member Advisor  



BUILDING COMMITTE MEMBERS

 

Harold Galm Jr., Chairman

Ruth Felty Mildred Galm
Sheree Hosey Jimmy Jones
James Meiske Don Josephson
Daniel Roeder Jerry Nunneley, Jr.
William Schmitt Ronnie Palmieri
Harry Wade Frank Wehmeyer, Jr.
Gordon Kuenemann, Pastor Jeff Widner



CONSTRUCTION PHASE

Harold Galm, Jr., General Contracting Commttee
Ruth Felty, Interior Contracting Committee
Harry Wade, Construction Commttee


BUILDING CONSTRUCTION SUPERINTENDANT

Richard A. Coakley

Back to top




Page 21

CHURCH COUNCILS

1985: Calvin Galm, Pres.

Nancy Hillmer Harold Galm, Jr.
Peter Hosey George Hutchings
Daniel Roeder Beverly Anderson
Norma Pittman Russell Masters
Ruth Moorman Frank Wehmeyer, Jr.
Gordon Kuenemann, Pastor

1986: Calvin Galm, Pres.

Beverly Rosel Harold Galm, Jr.
Peter Hosey George Hutchings
Russell Masters Curt Christiansen
Timothy Grady Maysie Schuchart
Keith Deer Frank Wehmeyer, Jr.
Gordon Kuenemann, Pastor
Elizabeth and Mark Lundquist, Pastors

1987: Russell Masters, Pres.

Peter Hosey Keith Deer
Vivian Hand George Hutchings
Kathy Krueger Beverly Rosel
Jack Davis Curt Christiansen
Timothy Grady William Christensen
Gordon Kuenemann, Pastor
Elizabeth and Mark Lundquist, Pastors

1988: Russell Masters, Pres.

Peter Hosey Bill Birdwell
Vivian Hand Jane Brown
Kathy Krueger Timothy Grady
Jack Davis William Christensen
Todd Cheves Chris Schuchart
Gordon Kuenemann, Pastor
Elizabeth and Mark Lundquist, Pastors

Present Staff (1988):

Jo Ann Henning, Secretary
Norma Pittman, Treasure
Melinda Grady, Financial Secretary
Donald Luckemeyer, Offering Secrtary
Patty Moeller & Neva Mastrs, Organists
Janie & Domingo Hernandez, Cust./Yard/Maint.

Back to top




Page 22

INTERESTING FACTS AND FIGURES

The new sancturary and office complex is resting on 300 cubic yards of concrete foundation poured in one continuous pour.

The roof covers 12,000 sq. fr. of floor space which is temperature controlled by three seperate units.  The unit for the office area is controlled from the office wing and will probably be the most used unit.  The Narthex unit is separate so it can be used as required.  The unit for the sactuary is the most sophisticated and the largest in size.  The total air conditioning tonnage in the sanctuary is 40 tons.  This can be called up in 10 ton increments as needed.  This type of air conditioning, split into three separate units, allows better economics to be used.

As you are sitting in the sanctuary looking up to the altar window, on each side of the window is a large cloth grill area.  This is our sound system speakers.  All sound except the organ comes through these speakers.  The same program being listened to in the sactuary can be heard in the narthex, library and nursery, each having its own volume control for pleasant listening.

Another interesting feature of Zion's new complex is the lighting.  The flourescent lighting system in the sanctuary at the roof line has 21,650 feet of wire to connect the system together.  The stairwells to the balcony and several of the overhead lights in the narthex are battery assisted that remain on in case of power failure.  This is a great safety feature.

The B.F. Goodrich Karoseal, a seamless, textured wall covering, used in the hallway, narthex and sanctuary, is the latest in the state of wallpaper art.  Contained in the vinyl, is an emmitance (gas) that will be released if the air temperature reaches 300 degrees Farenheit.  This is a high temperature, but below combustion level.  The released gases trigger the fire alarm system, giving us an "early warning".

Our new bell tower, the highest ourside point, is 62 feet tall.  Tradition is kept as the old bell was moved by crane and installed in the new tower.  It will be rung both manually and electronically.

The ground floor contains 45 pews of various lengths that have an uncrowded capacity of 468 persons.  The choir seating is 35 comfortably and the balcony is designed for 182 persons.  This means we can have 685 seated for worship before bringing extra seating into play.  The balcony area is not complete as we are using 15 pews from our other church until final arrangements can be made to complete the balcony as designed.

The entire sanctuary has a lofty, spacious feeling, your eyes seem to be drawn up to the entire 42 foot height of the rafters.  The beartiful primary color art glass windows add to this feeling with peace and joy.

May our worship within this house bring glory and honor to the Lord.

Back to top




Page 24

Our pipe organ is being hand constructed by Visser Rowland Associates, Inc. It will have 15 racks of 808 pipes, using 1,600 feet of poplar wood for the windchest, 2,800 feet of oak for the cabinet, with a rosewood keyboard. The expected completion date is December 1991.

Back to top




Page 25

BUILDING INFORMATION

Architect: Johnson/Dempsey & Assoc.
Bruce Johnson
Charles Dempsey
Joe Straube
General Contractors: Peco Construction Co.
Tom Wright
Mike Cahauret
Duffy Bowen


Stained Glass Windoes(sic),  Ward Cruikshank
Sound System,  Muzak Systems of S.A.
Organ,  Visser Rowland Assoc., Inc
Centerstone,  Arthur M. Kleypas Memorials
Woodwork,  Wagoner Bros.

 

Cost of general contract $831,000
Architect's fee $65,000
Furnishing $159,000
Total Project Cost $1,055,000


Total Square Feet ...................................12,470

Consists of: Sanctuary 8730 sq. ft./Balcony

Narthex

Secretary Office/Reception Area

Library/Conference Room

Office Work Area

3 Private Offices

Nursery with it(sic) own restroom

Restrooms

Storage Area

Porte Cochere

Back to top




Page 26

DEDICATION COMMITTEE

Karen Petersen Harold Galm, Jr.
Calvin Galm Barbara Galland
Russell Masters Ruth Moorman
Shirley Michalczak George Schultz
Samuel Galm Curt Christensen
Pastor Gordon Kuenemann




COVER DESIGNS AND DEDICATION PAGE:

John W. Davis, III

COPYRIGHT ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS:

Setting one of Holy Communion, text copyright © 1978 Lutheran Book of Worship, is reprinted by permission of Augsburg Fortress.

"Built on a Rock" text copyright © 1958 Service Book and Hymnal, reprinted by permission of Augsburg Fortress.

Back to top